West Coast University's MSN in Nursing Informatics Online program helps prepare students for an exciting career in the development and management of healthcare information technology, incorporating the tools and skills to design and improve the use of informatics into practice, education, administration and research.
As an RN to MSN Nursing Informatics online program graduate, WCU prepares you for these responsibilities:
- Provide support, training and assist in the creation, analysis, and testing of applications utilized in electronic health records
- Act as a liaison between all departments involved in the introduction and use of healthcare technology
- Facilitate the analysis of clinical data for performance improvement programs
- Enhance the continuity of care
Get the most out of your online RN to MSN Nursing Informatics degree with these clear advantages:
- 24-month RN to MSN Nursing Informatics online program
- Choose a pace that works for you with Accelerated and Working Professional Options
- Access to on-campus student services including Career Services, and in California and Texas, access to our technologically advanced Simulation Centers
- Streamlined curriculum allowing for transfer credits—up to 90 credit hours
- 335 Practice Experience hours
- Graduates are eligible to take the Informatics Nursing Certification (RN-BC) exam
- Competitive tuition for our RN to MSN Nursing Informatics programs—ask about our Health Services Partner Grant
- WCU is institutionally accredited by WSCUC and our online nursing programs are programmatically accredited by CCNE.
At WCU, you are not alone. WCU offers the support and guidance to help you achieve your professional goals. Our RN to MSN Nursing Informatics online classes are energizing, engaging and enriched with video content, simulations, adaptive quizzing and on-the-go resourcesâ€”to help you stay connected wherever you are. WCUâ€™s RN to MSN Informatics online program is simple to navigate and easy to use while we support you with clear and continuous access to your instructors, peers, student services and our 24/7 technical support.
If you are an RN looking to advance your education, consider your options at West Coast University. WCU offers multiple online programs for RNs – RN to BSN and RN to MSN (multiple track options). Learn how you can maximize your time and tuition dollars advancing directly from an RN to an MSN!
The informatics-specific RN to MSN Informatics online courses will introduce the students to the various roles and responsibilities of the Nurse Informaticist, including these tasks:
- User involvement in information systems
- Electronic health records (EHR)
- System implementation
- Information management and analytics
- Liability issues
RN to MSN nursing informatics certification students will learn about the ethical, legal and social issues arising from the use of computerized technology and information systems in delivering health care.
The RN to MSN Informatics online courses will also emphasize patient confidentiality and the privacy and safety of clinical data. The key to the future of nursing is becoming clear with emerging insights and embracing successful innovation processes.
The RN to MSN Informatics online curriculum is in alignment with Technology Informatics Guiding Education Reform (TIGER) which is focused on education reform and interprofessional community development.
Focusing on a multidisciplinary perspective, RN to MSN Nursing Informatics online graduates are prepared to take on the challenges of integrating science, computer science, information, and knowledge in nursing practice and information science to manage and share data. As healthcare associations are utilizing technology at an increasing pace, Nurse Informaticists will take on an essential roles in the preservation of security and patient privacy while focusing on integrating information with evidence-based practice to enhance the provision of care. They play a critical role in the successful selection and implementation of technology tools to help improve patient safety.
Through the appropriate use of new technologies, Nurse Informaticists can enhance nursing practice through quicker and more efficient access to patient information, which will improve overall efficiency, and lead to a reduction in potential errors.
Support Beyond Graduation
West Coast University supports its RN to MSN Nursing Informatics online students beyond the last day of class. We are committed to helping our RN to MSN Nursing Informatics online graduates throughout their careers.
Through our Career Service Department, we provide ongoing assistance with professional and career development through workshops and guidance for our RN To MSN Nursing Informatics certification program's students and graduates. We partner with industry professionals and enhance the prospects for securing employment and obtaining professional success.
Challenge/Advanced Placement for Military Personnel
Individuals who have held Military Health Care Training may be eligible to receive credit for previous education training.
Learn more about Challenge Credit
Nursing Challenge Exam Additional Requirements
WCU distance education programs may not be available to residents in all states. The RN to MSN Nursing Informatics program requires 335 hours of Practice Experience.
West Coast University's online Master of Science in Nursing is programmatically accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).