As a health care professional, it seems as though time is not always on our side. From working 12-hours shifts to finding balance in our everyday lives, it is easy and convenient to rely on fast food restaurants or grabbing your lunch from a vending machine. Here are a few healthy and quick recipes that you can make in under five minutes.
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwich
Recipe by Damn Delicious
- 2 cups leftover rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced apple
- 1/2 cup grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices bread
- 4 leaves of Bibb lettuce
In a large bowl, combine chicken, red onion, apple, grapes, dried cranberries, sliced almonds, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve sandwiches on bread with chicken mixture and lettuce.
Super Quick Avocado Shrimp Salad
Recipe by Pinch of Yum
- 1/2 lb. shrimp (tails removed)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A sprinkle of garlic powder (optional)
- Squeeze of one lemon
- Half of a small cucumber (diced)
- A pinch of fresh dill
- A pinch of chives
- Poach the shrimp: Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the shrimp. Cook for 3-5 minutes until pink and opaque. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water to cool. When cooled, pat dry and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Avocado mixture: Mash the avocado. Season with salt, lemon, and garlic powder if you want.
- Assemble: Toss shrimp, avocado mix, cucumber, and herbs together. Season to taste. Enjoy with a cold coconut water and feel like a million bucks!
Mason Jar Ramen
Recipe by BRIT+CO
- 1 teaspoon bouillon paste (you can use vegetable, chicken, beef, pork, miso or Thai curry paste)
- 3 tablespoons kimchi (or more if you like spice!) If kimchi isn’t your thing, try sesame seed oil, chili sauce or Sriracha
- Veggies! I used corn, carrots and sautéed mushrooms. You could add spinach, peppers or bok choy. There are endless possibilities here
- 1 cup cooked brown rice noodles. You can also try udon, soba noodles, vermicelli or spaghetti. Get creative!
- Green onions on top (optional)
- Mason jar (the wide mouth containers work best)
- Add bouillon paste to the bottom of the mason jar or container.
- Add in kimchi.
- Pack in the veggies.
- Place the noodles on top.
- Top with green onions.
- When ready to eat, remove the lid and pour hot water into the mason jar. Let sit for a few minutes and then enjoy.