Transition Into Practice Program
We want to see our students achieve their goals. Explore the different resources available to you at WCU.
The Pathway to Employment
West Coast University is committed to preparing the next generation of healthcare professionals and leaders. As part of this preparation, WCU has launched the Transition into Practice Program (TIPP) to help students transition from student to nurse.
TIPP is a collaboration between WCU and their clinical partners to provide senior nursing students in their last term of study additional education, mentoring, coaching, and clinical experiences to improve competency, professional skills and enhance employability in the healthcare industry.
In addition to regular coursework, clinical practice and technical skill development, program participants will work directly with a pre-approved preceptor RN in a pre-approved clinical setting, following their schedule, caseload and responsibilities. Students have the opportunity to possibly work in their unit of interest. If there is a match, the clinical partners may elect to interview candidates for possible employment opportunities.
TIPP Course Integration
This practicum course follows each core measure with a comprehensive assessment to ensure student preparation for success in taking the NCLEX examination and function as a Registered Nurse. To pass this course, students must demonstrate the essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice.
This program is currently offered at our Orange County, North Hollywood and Ontario campuses.
Gain the competitive edge to help advance your nursing career.
The Transition into Practice Program (TIPP) provides students the opportunity to learn and grow professionally and personally, while completing their final clinical rotation.
TIPP is a professional development program designed to prepare students for entrance into the clinical nursing role. This culminating nursing practicum course is designed to provide the student with hands-on experience and confidence in the clinical setting to prepare for a career as a Registered Nurse.
Discover the program benefits:
- Onsite interview with participating hospital
- Exclusive preceptorship
- Specialized unit selection
- Customized TIPP scrubs
- Integration into clinical culture
- Honorary recognition
- Limited Openings
- Network with healthcare professionals and partners
“I absolutely love my job and am so happy for the opportunity that West Coast University gave me. If it wasn’t for the TIPP program I wouldn’t have this job today.*” – Allison Hudson, 2017, BSN Orange Coast Memorial, OR RN
*The opinion is the individual’s sole opinion and not necessarily representative of that of the school, any instructor or any other student.
To be eligible for the Transition into Practice Program, students must meet these requirements:
- Currently enrolled in Advanced Medical-Surgical Course (NURS 480)
- No core nursing failures
- No conduct/judicial sanctions
All students who meet eligibility requirements may apply to the program via an online application. Additionally, students must complete a supplemental questionnaire and provide a professional resume.
Selection is competitive, so meeting the minimum criteria does not guarantee acceptance.
How to Apply
Application deadlines and program start date
Application Deadline: See Career Services for Dates
Program Start Date: See Career Services for Dates
Step 1: Turn in Application
- Submit your completed application no later than the specified deadline. Submit via email or deliver to the Career Services Department.
- Click here to download the TIPP Application
Step 2: Acceptance information
- Only completed applications will be reviewed.
- If you pass the preliminary review, you will be given a date and time for an interview with the TIPP panel, which includes hospital partner(s).
- If your application is not accepted, you will be notified via email.
Step 3: Interviews
- You will be given a date and time for an interview with up to 5 panelists.
- Please prepare five copies of your resume and reference.
Step 4: Finalizing and accepting your placement
- The hospital partner(s) will notify WCU if you are accepted for a placement.
- You will be notified which hospital and unit to which you will be assigned.
- It will be your decision to either accept or decline acceptance into the Transition into Practice Program.
Step 5: Start the program
- The program begins on the first day of NURS 498L