West Coast University History
West Coast University opened its doors in Los Angeles, CA as a small ophthalmology school, with instruction conducted from a single classroom.
Over the past century, WCU has steadily grown and evolved into a leading healthcare education institution. In 1997, the University was reorganized under the leadership of our Chairman, David Pyle, and in 2004 educating healthcare professionals became our singular focus.
A long road—leading to the future of healthcare.
Now, West Coast University includes six campus locations in Southern California, Texas, and Florida—all featuring advanced simulation technology and hands-on learning—designed to develop the next generation of leadership.
We offer undergraduate degrees in nursing and dental hygiene, and graduate degrees in nursing, occupational therapy and health administration as well as Doctor of Physical Therapy and Doctor of Pharmacy degrees.
West Coast University has come a long way from that first single classroom in Los Angeles in 1909, as evidenced by several recent, noteworthy milestones:
- The School of Pharmacy is granted full Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
- Master of Public Health program starts offering courses
- The University is granted reaffirmation of accreditation for eight years by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy program is granted candidacy status by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education
- West Coast University launches the Center for Graduate Studies in Los Angeles, California.
- West Coast University launches WCU Online, with RN-BSN, RN-MSN and MSN programs with online coursework.
- Doctor of Pharmacy program achieves candidacy status through Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
- West Coast University's Master of Science in Occupational Therapy program receives accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy (ACOTE)1.
- Global Public Health Program launches. Students have traveled abroad to locations such as: Panama, Costa Rica, Belize and Moldova. Additional Global Studies Programs included:
- Global Studies: General Education Experience in Oxford, England.
- Global Studies: Dental Hygiene Global Public Learning Initiative in Moldova.
- WCU's Master of Science in Occupational Therapy, Doctor of Physical Therapy and Doctor of Pharmacy programs receive approval by WASC2.
- WCU receives approval from the Florida Board of Nursing.
- The Master of Science in Nursing program receives accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education3 (CCNE).
- West Coast University Dallas opens.
- West Coast University's Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene program is awarded accreditation by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)4 of the American Dental Association.
- West Coast University is awarded accreditation from the WASC Senior College and University Commission.
- WCU receives approval to award Master's Degrees in Nursing and Healthcare Management (later renamed to Master of Health Administration).
- Global Studies Program launches in Oxford, England.
- West Coast University achieves accreditation for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- West Coast University is awarded initial accreditation by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) of the American Dental Association to offer a Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene in Orange County.
- The on-site, free dental hygiene clinic opens to patients at the Orange County campus.
- West Coast University becomes the first privately held university in California approved to offer a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing.
These are just a few glimpses into the more recent milestones in the university's history and its path to success is peppered with many more impactful and transformational events.
1ACOTE: 4720 Montgomery Lane, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814-3449, 301-652-2682, Acoteonline.org
2WASC: 985 Atlantic Avenue, #100, Alameda, CA 94501, 510-748-9001, wascsenior.org
3CCNE: 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791,www.aacn.nche.edu/CCNE/reports/accprog.asp
4 CODA: The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at: 312-440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. The Commission's web address is: https://www.ada.org/100.aspx