RN to MSN Nursing Informatics Admissions Requirements
Requirements for Nursing Informatics Certification:
Applicants to the program must fulfill the following nursing informatics degree requirements (RN-MSN All Track Options):
- Provide proof of a current unobstructed Registered Nurse (RN) license from the United States
- Students awaiting their licensure exam may be admitted if they meet all other nursing informatics admissions criteria but must show proof of licensure prior to entering the third trimester of the program*
- Submit official transcripts from a Board of Nursing licensed Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing program;
- Applicants can be conditionally admitted into the first week of the program by providing unofficial transcripts or a copy of the conferred nursing degree. Official transcripts which meet the nursing informatics education requirements set forth must be received by the end of the add/drop period in order to be admitted into the program.
- Applicants with a valid license may be admitted with approved documentation of earned high school degree or equivalent pending receipt of official transcripts of the nursing degree. Official transcripts must be submitted to document program completion.
- Have achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.0 from the student's Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing program. Applicants with a CGPA of 2.7 to 2.99 may be admitted on probation, but must achieve a cumulative B (3.0) or better within their first three courses of the program.
- Applicants submitting non-U.S. or non-English transcripts should refer to the International Admissions section of the catalog.
One year of direct patient care nursing experience within the past five years is preferred.
*All students must have a current and unobstructed license in the United States prior to entering the third trimester of the program; an unobstructed license is required for degree completion and will be verified again prior to entering the practicum course. Failure to present a valid RN license will result in dismissal from the university until such time license is current and unobstructed.
RN to MSN Nursing Informatics Transfer Credits
The RN to MSN Nursing Informatics program awards 42 transfer credits for an unobstructed current RN license issued in the United States and up to 48 credits of general education transfer credits (total of 90 transfer credits).
Students who are requesting transfer credits for courses in the core curriculum must submit official transcripts by the first day of the first term in which the student commences his or her education at West Coast University.
Nursing applicants requesting additional transfer credits must provide official transcripts no later than six months after the start of the semester in which the student commences his or her education at the University. Only college-level coursework will be considered for transfer credit. All coursework must have been taken at an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Department of Education.
Note: Students enrolled in the RN to MSN Nursing Informatics program must have earned/transferred in 72 credits in order to be eligible for federal Title IV financial aid.
Note: A student may have the option of taking a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA 100) course if he/she does not have sufficient college-level credits required to meet the 141 credits required for graduation with this degree program. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA 100) is not subject to this policy as credit earned from a Prior Learning Assessment is done in conjunction with enrollment in the appropriate West Coast University course.