Program Learning Outcomes
Continuous Program Review Leads to Improved Student Success
At WCU, we are truly committed to student success, so we are constantly monitoring student performance in an effort to identify potential problems in a timely fashion. Why is this so important? Because early intervention is critical to improving learning outcomes and student success, both for individual students and for programs.
Learning Communities, made up of faculty who teach similar courses, meet every ten weeks to collaborate and share assessment tools, best practices, curricula, and instructional strategies with colleagues. Prior to these meetings, they complete course feedback forms that challenge faculty to assess critically student learning in the classes they teach.
These Learning Communities are an example of WCU's culture of shared governance. We rely on our faculty - the frontline experts who interact daily with students - to evaluate student learning and recommend changes to improve learning outcomes.
Program learning outcomes are usually stated as a set of expectations about what a student should know, or what a student should be able to do, by the time the student graduates. The following are the General Education learning outcomes.
By the time an undergraduate student graduates, he or she will be able to:
- Demonstrate competent written communication skills.
- Employ effective oral communication skills.
- Interpret quantitative data using mathematical principles to effectively identify core issues and solve problems.
- Illustrate competence in the biological, physical and natural sciences.
- Locate disparate information through multiple sources demonstrating technological and informational literacy.
- Analyze ideas and make decisions using critical thinking skills.
- Describe and interpret diverse perspectives, value systems, history, cultural traditions, and artistic expression.
- Articulate issues and arrive at a defensible conclusion, given a set of ethical dilemmas.
Professional Program Learning Outcomes
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
LVN to BSN
BS in Nursing (Florida)
LPN to BSN (Florida)
Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Master of Science in Nursing - Advanced Generalist
Master of Science in Nursing - Informatics
Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Educator
Master of Science in Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner
Registered Nurse to Master of Science in Nursing - Advanced Generalist
Registered Nurse to Master of Science in Nursing - Informatics
Registered Nurse to Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Educator
Registered Nurse to Master of Science in Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner
Post Master's FNP Certificate
Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene
Master of Health Administration
Master of Public Health
Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (MSOT)
Occupational Therapy Doctorate (OTD)
Doctor of Physical Therapy