West Coast University’s dental hygiene cohort recently celebrated another milestone on their path to success with their school pinning ceremony. Twenty students attended the pinning, several of whom participated — and won big – in dental hygiene research. This cohort has had an exceptional year and is well on their way to becoming licensed dental hygienists after passing the first of their national board exam.
“The pinning ceremony was a touching experience,” WCU Dental Hygiene graduate Berenice Gaona shared. “It was great to see all who supported us through out our journey sitting in the audience, our family and professors.” Gaona was one of the research team members who placed second at the American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA) annual student research poster competition.
The following students received awards at the pinning ceremony:
- Research Award: Tonya Boyd, Nikki Colclazier, Silvano Puente-Santos
- Commitment to Ergonomics Award: Karen Erfe
- Community Service Award: Kim Jenkins
- Golden Scaler Award: Silvano Puente-Santos
- Outstanding Leadership Award: Serli Shaverdi
- Colgate Oral Health Advisor S.T.A.R. Award: Kim Jenkins
- Endurance Award: Shan-Del Boerner
- Sigma Phi Alpha: Tonya Boyd, Kelsi Jones
- Dean’s Award: Tonya Boyd