West Coast University opened its doors in Los Angeles as a small ophthalmology school, with instruction conducted from a single classroom.
Over the past century, WCU has steadily grown and evolved into a leading health care education institution. In 1997, the University was reorganized under the leadership of our Chairman, David Pyle, and in 2004 educating health care professionals became our singular focus.
At our three Southern California campuses, we offer undergraduate degrees in nursing and dental hygiene, and graduate degrees in nursing and health care management. WCU's newest campus in Dallas, Texas offers undergraduate degrees in nursing.
West Coast University has come a long way from that first single classroom in Los Angeles in 1909, as evidenced by several recent, noteworthy milestones:
- 2006 - Classes begin at the Los Angeles campus.
- 2007 - The Orange County campus opens in Anaheim and classes begin.
- 2008 - West Coast University becomes the first privately held university in California approved to offer a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing.
- 2008 - Classes begin at the Ontario campus.
- 2009 - The new Los Angeles campus opens in North Hollywood.
- 2009 - West Coast University achieves additional accreditation for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- 2009 - West Coast University is awarded initial accreditation by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) to offer a Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene in Orange County.
- 2009 - The highly acclaimed dental hygiene clinic opens to patients at the Orange County campus.
- 2010 - The new Ontario Campus opens.
- 2010 - WCU receives approval to award Master's Degrees in Nursing and Health Care Management.
- 2010 - Global Studies launches in Oxford, England.
- 2010 - The advanced Simulation Center for Nursing opens at the Orange County campus.
- 2011 - West Coast University's Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene program is awarded accreditation by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
- 2011 - West Coast University is awarded accreditation from the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) - 985 Atlantic Avenue, #100, Alameda, CA 94501, 510-748-9001
- 2012 - The Master of Science in Nursing program receives additional accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- 2012 - West Coast University launches the Dallas, Texas campus.
- 2013 - Global Public Health Initiative launches in Panama.
- 2013 - Global Studies launches the General Education Experience in Oxford, England.
"My vision was to create a leading institution for health care education, and to be known for our student-centric focus. With our student success rate, program accreditations, and top notch faculty and facilities, that's exactly what we've accomplished at West Coast University!"
- David A. Pyle, Executive Chairman